The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Corporate Relations creates value by building and protecting Allstate’s reputation. We drive action and advocacy among key stakeholders by telling Allstate’s broader story and building a shared belief in Allstate as an innovative, customer-centric and caring company. We are talented, creative, passionate and strategic individuals who work together to achieve our common goals. We are research-based, outcomes-driven and business-focused, with a dedication to professional development at all levels.
The director, Financial Communications leads Allstate’s financial communications, including public company disclosures. The director also serves as a key leader for engaging national business media to advance Allstate’s competitive advantage through reputation and confidence in Allstate’s business strategy.
- Financial Communication Strategy, Planning and Execution: Leads financial communication, including public company disclosures to improve Allstate’s reputation overall and with investor, policy maker and opinion leader stakeholders. Anticipates internal and/or external business challenges and/or regulatory issues; recommends improvements. Solves unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business. Partners with Law & Regulation on the proxy, annual report, SEC filings and related reporting and disclosures.
- Strategic Communication Counsel for Business Areas and Leaders: Partners with senior/executive-level business leaders, providing strategic financial communications counsel. Translates priorities into internal/external action that support investor, policymaker and opinion leader engagement and build and protect Allstate’s reputation. Use interpersonal influence to build relationships and provide effective counsel. Liaises between the department and other business areas, business partners and/or internal/external.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: Directs research into trends in financial reporting and evaluates data needed for disclosures. Researches and use stakeholder data and analytics, working collaboratively with the research team, to develop, design, monitor and measure financial communication plans and stakeholder engagement plans that have broad impact to Allstate’s reputation and the direction of the business.
- Storytelling, Content Creation, Reporting and Disclosures: Designs, leads, executes and partners on financial communications and other public company disclosures to support Allstate’s overall business strategy and reputation. In partnership with Investor Relations and Corporate Governance, manages SEC-required disclosures (e.g., earnings, business transactions, and catastrophes). Writes, and supports others in writing, content that aligns with corporate and stakeholder narratives and storylines.
Key Responsibilities Cont’d
- Media Relations and Issues Management: Serves as a key leader in driving coverage of Allstate in national business media, maintaining strong relationships with a robust and broad network of leading business journalists. Supports the CEO in engagements with key business media, in partnership with other leaders in Corporate Brand as appropriate. Advises on and executes the communications approach for strategic business issues, including investor proposals. Serves as a spokesperson on financial topics. Represents Allstate on the Insurance Information Institute’s communications working group.
- Champion of Culture: Leads and/or supports the implementation of communication plans and tactics to help create an inclusive, empowering, and purpose-driven corporate culture aligned to and supportive of Allstate’s corporate strategy and narrative. Leads others through change and disruption, modeling effective change behaviors. Fosters an environment of natural curiosity and empowerment.
- Talent Development: Effectively recruits, onboards and supports ongoing development for direct reports. Support employee engagement and development across Corporate Relations.
- Resource Allocation and Budget Management: Develops team or program budgets annually and manages forecasts monthly, in support of Corporate Relations goals. Manages external/vendor relationships according to department expectations and corporate policies.
- Government Relations & Public Affairs: Leads development of strategies, material, and message development in support of public policy initiatives and engaging policy makers. Gathers intelligence on regulatory or legislative initiatives that may impact the insurance and financial industry and offer solutions to influence policy makers and opinion leaders.
Supervises and develops team members. Sets direct reports’ objectives to support team goals.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications or journalism. Additional finance degree and/or Master’s degree preferred.
- 15-18 years of specialized experience in financial and/or sustainability reporting. Experience managing reputation at an enterprise level.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- None required. CPA, CFA, MBA in finance preferred
- Financial Expertise: Recognized as an expert within the organization and has in-depth and breadth of expertise in corporate accounting, financial and sustainability reporting at a large public company. Knowledge of the insurance and financial services industries. Knowledge of SEC disclosure rules and practices preferred.
- Strategic Communication Planning and Strategic Counsel: Extensive experience using data and analytics to research, develop, design, execute and measure the effectiveness of integrated communication plans that move key stakeholders from awareness to advocacy and action. Experience providing strategic communication counsel, including ability to listen for understanding and influence executives, business leaders, external partners, and vendors.
- Reputation and Brand Management: Deep and broad understanding of reputation and brand management and confidence recommending, developing and incorporating strategies that will protect and build the brand’s reputation with multiple stakeholders.
- Exceptional Communication Skills: In-depth understanding of stakeholders and how to communicate effectively and with influence through written, multimedia, digital and in-person communications. Comprehensive expertise in leading-edge communication theories, techniques and technologies. Highly proficient in Associated Press style. Excellent presentation skills and confident executive presence required for interaction with senior leaders.
Functional Skills Cont’d
- Media Relations and Issues Management: Success developing content and securing placement in traditional and social media channels – owned, earned and paid. Strong experience identifying potential
issues that may negatively affect the brand and providing strategic counsel and effective communication support and leadership during a crisis.
- Business Acumen: Strong knowledge of the insurance and financial services industry. Knowledge of global and macroeconomic trends, familiarity with regulatory environments and potential impacts on the insurance industry. Understanding of Allstate’s business and our varied distribution channels a plus.
- Critical Thinking and Change Agility: Demonstrated analytical decision making, including problem solving, with the ability to identify root causes and key obstacles behind issues or needs, anticipate stakeholder reactions and offer high-value communication solutions. Effectively lead self and others through change, demonstrating flexibility and confidence amid ambiguity.
- Project Management: High-level of proficiency in creating, and leading teams in creating, work plans, including organizing projects into tasks, sequencing activities for maximum efficiency, estimating and managing time and budget required to complete tasks. Identify issues and adapt plan as needed while remaining committed to project deadlines and timelines. Significant experience leading project teams.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on
or watch a