The government has given the green light for a lorry park in Birmingham amid the Brexit process.
Birmingham is braced for a park by January, according to reports.
It is one of 10 locations, which also include the likes of Kent and Essex.
Warrington and North Wales have also been identified.
The list, contained within a 271-page border plan published today, is the first time the government has formally confirmed its list of Brexit lorry parks after weeks of insisting the sites were not final.
The network of hastily-erected concrete sites is designed to prevent chaos when EU rules come crashing to an end at the stroke of 11pm on New Year’s Eve, reports the Mirror.
Click to play
Tap to play
Lorry drivers using the channel crossings in Kent will need an access permit to enter the county following the end of the Brexit transition period at the end of the year, the Government has confirmed.
The scheme, originally announced last month by Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove, is intended to stop the county’s roads being clogged up once customs controls with the European Union are re-imposed from January 1.
According to the latest updated Government guidance, a new “check an HGV” service will enable hauliers to check if they have the correct customs documentation in order to obtain a Kent access permit.
The parks will be erected under legal powers which Tory ministers gave themselves to build sites in 29 council areas – without asking local councils.
It is not yet clear if more lorry parks could be built beyond the 10 outlined today.
The 10 confirmed lorry parks
1. Intended site location – Ashford Waterbook**
2. Intended site location – Sevington Ashford* **
3. Intended site location – Ebbsfleet Int. Station**
4. Potential site location – Thames Gateway
5. Intended site location – North Weald Airfield**
6. Potential site location – Birmingham
7. Intended site location – Warrington**
8. Potential site location July 2021 – Holyhead
9. Potential site location July 2021 – South Wales
10. Potential site location July 2021 – Dover
*Will also be required for July 2021
** Subject to securing planning permission